Sunday 19 May 2013

Why I love Eurovision


On my Facebook, there were at least two people asking versions of "why on Earth would you watch Eurovision".

Here are a few reasons that I've been watching Eurovision every year since at least 2000, and probably longer than that:
  • The Politics.  What first captured me years ago the first year I watched Eurovision was undeniably the politics - the way in which certain countries will always vote for others, or against others.  The year that the UK got no points from anyone and I watched in horror because it was just a little humiliating.
  • The Awesome - it's just - fabulous.  I love it.  The special effects, the nutty, just the willingness to be awesome and fabulous.
  • The rare use of French - this year only France and Belgium gave their points in French.  I'm sure it used to be used more when I started watching.
  • The enthusiasm.  There's no self-consciousness, as there would be if this were Australia.
  • The sense of community.  Along with knowing that a lot of Europe is paying attention to this, there's the slight nuttiness of Australian fans, of getting #SBSEurovision trending globally, of knowing that around Australia  people are enjoying the craziness.
Basically, it's just really fabulous fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment