On my Facebook, there were at least two people asking versions of "why on Earth would you watch Eurovision".
Here are a few reasons that I've been watching Eurovision every year since at least 2000, and probably longer than that:
- The Politics. What first captured me years ago the first year I watched Eurovision was undeniably the politics - the way in which certain countries will always vote for others, or against others. The year that the UK got no points from anyone and I watched in horror because it was just a little humiliating.
- The Awesome - it's just - fabulous. I love it. The special effects, the nutty, just the willingness to be awesome and fabulous.
- The rare use of French - this year only France and Belgium gave their points in French. I'm sure it used to be used more when I started watching.
- The enthusiasm. There's no self-consciousness, as there would be if this were Australia.
- The sense of community. Along with knowing that a lot of Europe is paying attention to this, there's the slight nuttiness of Australian fans, of getting #SBSEurovision trending globally, of knowing that around Australia people are enjoying the craziness.
Basically, it's just really fabulous fun.