Thursday 23 October 2014

Cultivate a good life - and record it



Becky Higgins, founder of Project Life, has the above as her tagline: cultivate a good life – and record it. When compared to the tagline of someone like Heidi Swapp (“make pretty stuff”)*, Becky’s can seem, well, a little pretentious maybe?
But in the past year since I started doing PL – and in November I will have done either weekly or daily layouts for every week or day for a full year – I’ve found that I actually appreciate Becky’s tagline.
It boils down to this: because of Project Life, I have done good things that I otherwise wouldn’t have done. Because it could be a picture or some journalling in a spread, I’ve gone out and done something interesting on a weekend instead of staying at home.
I’m such a homebody – especially on weekends. I just want to hang around at home and potter and try to Get Things Done. But it’s good to get out of the house and do good and interesting things, and I’m finding that the lure of filling a space in a layout – especially in a slow week – helps me immensely with this.
I had a particular example from earlier in the year, but of course I can’t remember now what it was. Still, it’s like the fact that the kitty boys are making me be tidier around the house: an unexpected additional benefit to something that I love anyway.



*Earlier this year, Becky and Heidi released a collaborative line. The videos they produced ended with them each using their tagline, and the result was an interesting tale of contrasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment