Saturday 13 June 2015

Block a day #19 and #20

 "Double Granny"
Pattern 43, pg 55

I do end up doing more blocks in the round rather than in rows, partially because the tension seems to a lot easier (and more consistent).  But I like how this one has come up, and I'm very pleased with my colour choices.

"Granny's Round"
Pattern 104, pg 96

Another one I really like.  This is one of the three I was planning to do on our weekend away, but I don't think I started it until the day we got home.  These were the four colours I took with me, so you'll see these colours again in the next couple (one of which is finished, and one of which is...




...one of the two current blocks I currently have half done, and would love to finish tonight (while M watches the new season of Orange is the New Black).  But right now I'm planning to try another one entirely: the first pattern I tried, "Gentle Waves", which I frogged back fairly quickly.  But that was using one of my variegated yarns, and we know what happened to those blocks...

2 comments:

  1. G'day Heidi, I'm enjoying your block-a-day posts and am looking forward to seeing how they will look when you put them all together. The variegated yarn looks very effective as a solid stitch border. While revisiting your block-a-day posts today, your comments about the variegated yarn reminded me of a time when I purchased a variegated yarn to make a shawl and was similarly disappointed with the results. The shawl was "Lace Evening Wrap" by Carol Meldrum and made up of circular motifs. I was hoping that the variegated yarn would change colour from the centre to the outside edge and enhance the circular shape, but no! It looked like a jumble of colour changes and was so visually busy that the pretty shapes of the motif were lost. After that experience I became very wary of mixing variegated yarns and motifs. Perhaps the colour changes need to be very long to work well. Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you that you are not the only one to have disappointing results when mixing variegated yarns with motifs worked in the round. Your use of variegated colour on the borders though looks very nice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so glad you are enjoying the posts.

    ReplyDelete