Friday 25 July 2014

Friday poppy pattern review - Remembrance Poppy


There's a poppy counter on the left-hand sidebar now.  As I write this post, I'm working on my 19th poppy - almost 20% to my goal!  I'd love to extend it (150, perhaps?) but at the same time, I've got a ripple blanket and multiple Christmas presents to finish as well.  Perhaps it should be 100 in time for the November 11 event, and another 100 before April 25 next year...


This week's pattern review is the Remembrance Poppy pattern.  (Link is to pinterest, clicking on the pin will get you to the .pdf) 

This is probably the pattern closest to the "official" distributed patterns that I've tried so far, but it's a fiddly two piece pattern in that it gives you the red part and tells you to just randomly add a button or etc. A crocheted center is just plain fiddly and OMG. 

So, minus points for that.

On the other hand, the shape of the resulting poppy is quite pretty.  There's some body to it, and as long as you don't muck up the centre trying to be interesting (see poppy #1) it looks really nice.  



Plus points there.

Honestly, it's only the two-part fiddliness that means this probably won't be a go-to pattern over the next few weeks.  I like to be able to sit down in the evening, pick up my black yarn, join my red yarn, and bang, done.  One poppy.  This just has too many stages.  (On the other hand, if I manage to raid my mother's button jar for some black buttons, I might change my tune.)


No comments:

Post a Comment