Wednesday 16 July 2014

Introducing the 5000 Poppies project (to my readers)

On Sunday and Monday evenings this week, I crocheted seven poppies.  (Here are two of them.)

Crocheting poppies is something I've been planning to do for quite some time, but it was Sunday when I finally started working on it.

The 5000 Poppies project was started by Lynne Berry, and has already exceeded its original goal.  The idea is that on ANZAC Day 2015, the 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli landings, Federation Square in Melbourne will be covered in knitted and crocheted (and felted, and quilted) poppies. They've already surpassed their initial goal of 5000 by quite a bit (last count I heard was 22k), and we have 300 sitting at my workplace that they don't even know about yet.

My workplace is coordinating a "field of poppies" for Remembrance Day this year, after which we'll take all the poppies down to Melbourne for the big day next April. I'm going to ramp up the promotion beginning next week on the 100th Anniversary of the beginning of the War, and we'll offer casual Friday Poppy Making sessions at the library from then on, especially if I can get some money from the programming budget to contribute some wool.

As for me.  It's week 29 this week, and Remembrance Day is in week 46.  That's 17 weeks, and my goal in that time is 100 poppies.  I'd love to go over that goal if I could, but at 100 I will celebrate wildly :-)

Back when I spent a lot of time on LiveJournal, people had these cute little progress bars with flowers and whatnot.  Sadly, no amount of Googling seems to find them, so for now, have this:

Poppy Progress to date
7 / 100 (7.00%) 

If you're interested in the 5000 Poppies project, feel free to ask me any questions, or check out their web page.  It includes patterns for knitted and crocheted poppies, although there are lots of other patterns around as well.  I've used at least three different patterns to date, and I'm hoping to try out a few more: I've been collecting a variety of patterns on my  Pinterest board: knitting, crochet, felting, origami, fabric flowers, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment