Saturday 24 May 2014

Dinner Guests... BEDiM Day 24

Pronpt: If you could have 3 people to dinner tonight, who would you invite?

As a matter of fact, I have been out to dinner tonight, to celebrate my birthday (which is tomorrow).  We had a lovely Indian meal, even though two of the guests invited had to cancel due to one of them being in the Emergency Room.

Because I'm so deep in the Metaxas biography, and my own battle against the idiocy of it, obviously, Dietrich Bonhoeffer would be one of the guests.  I'd have to polish up my German, however.

I think Archbishop Desmond Tutu would be the second.  His work on reconciliation is amazing, and to have him alongside Bonhoeffer to discuss the second half of the twentieth century, and his views on forgiveness and reconciliation and the love of God for God's people would be amazing.

My third guest would have to be a woman, or else I'd be horribly outnumbered.  And I'm thinking Nadia Bolz-Weber.  She's Lutheran (like Bonhoeffer, although ELCA, which takes its heritage from Scandinavia rather than Germany) and she's awesome.  She's coming to Australia later this year for the Uniting Women conference, but a) I can't get that kind of time off work and b) gender-specific conferences kind of annoy me.  Especially from the UCA.


1 comment: